Sunday, May 9, 2010

Outings

We've been trying to go places that we haven't gone in the last 6 years that we've lived here in Columbus. Amazing isn't it, that we can live here that long and still have lots of things we haven't done or seen! Here's a few of them...

Jacob went to the OSU dairy farm for a preschool field trip. He learned all about cows. He knows which ones are Jersey and Holstein cows, how they milk the cows, what an udder is and all sorts of things they make with milk. He loves to learn!

Motivated by Janessa and Craig, we visited the Franklin Park Conservatory to watch the butterfly releases that they have every day. In the lobby there is a model train with scenery and town entirely made of plants, wood and bark. It was pretty cool.

One of the conservatory rooms was filled with blooming jasmine. It was heavenly!

They even had a desert room, although we were a little disappointed that there were no saguaros. But there are tight laws on those sorts of things so...but I did show Jacob the golden barrel cacti. He learned how to figure out which way is north by which way the barrel cactus is pointing (to the south). just brushing up those desert survival skills! Next time, dad, I'll teach him about sucking on a pebble when you don't have water. ;)

The tropical pond room was the room with the butterflies. They also had a tower to climb and view the garden.


Rachel loved the butterflies. I had to remind her several times not to grab them. They were flying everywhere. The coolest were the big blue irridescent ones.


We also walked around the park outside and found a stream. Sticks and rocks were swiftly accumulated and chucked into the stream. There were also waterfalls and ponds. We found a shady spot to eat our picnic lunch. It was a really fun morning.

We took a trip to the Marion Train Station. We've actually been there before but I wanted to take the kids back again. The old station is the museum and they have all this really great old equipment that the kids can play with. The station was a major stop for soldiers during WWII and they had exhibits about the canteen that was in Marion.

Watching for trains. The station sits at the crossroads of three major rail lines. They see something like 40 trains a day. Jacob liked them the first time we went but this time they were just too loud. Emma didn't like them AT ALL. Poor baby!

And this isn't a new adventure, but it IS a favorite! Good thing it was laundry day!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You can tell directions by which way a barrel cactus points?! I had no idea. Clearly I'm still learning new things too. ;) (And need to brush up on my desert survival skills...)

Also, that picture of Rachel standing with her hand extended is too cute!

Unknown said...

I didn't know that about the barrel cactus either. actually, you can tell I'm not a desert gal by this admission: I don't even know which one is a barrel cactus. Looks like you guys are havin lots of fun!

Kellie said...

JEALOUS! I love Columbus, and it has SO MUCH to do. That's kind of a fun idea to try things you've never been to.