Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Sound of a Whisper

Every time I get a bad cold I lose my voice. When I start to feel it go, I can prevent from losing my voice fully by whispering and not using it. Well, have you ever wondered how to manage 3 kids by whispering? Impossible!, you say. Well...it actually works. And it's a little slice of heaven.

When I can't talk, I have to walk to my kids and speak to their faces. Likewise, if my kids want to talk to me, they have to come find me instead of yelling through the house, up the stairs and through closed doors. I can't really yell if I get angry if I don't have a voice to yell with. Now THAT is a good deal! Also, I found myself not harping so much because it was just too much effort. Another benefit? My kids often whispered back to me and that lowered the volume level of our house a lot.

Biggest advantage? Whispering is what you do in the temple. No loud talking, yelling down hall ways, unnecessary "blah"ing. Just kind, quiet, one-on-one conversations. I used to get frustrated when I lost my voice. Now I'm just grateful. Does that mean I still whisper? Unfortunately, I haven't learned my lesson yet. But repetition facilitates remembering!

Give it a try sometime. Try whispering for a couple of days and see what happens. You might be surprised!

6 comments:

Larsens said...

Unfortunately, at our house we text each other so we don't have to yell across the hallways or wherever somebody is. Quite pathetic but it beats the yelling, for sure.

I like your whispering method.

Unknown said...

Great thoughts. I might give it a try when the decible level threatens to blow up ear drums and/or short fuses. Right now with only 1, not too much of a problem. Yet. I'm sure I'll get my chance to try out your whispering method!

Katherine said...

Yes, whipering is a very good idea, maybe I should try it!!

Kellie said...

What a great idea, unfortunately I'm sure I too would have to lose my voice to really keep up with this goal...

Bonnie said...

Ah beautiful Katie, we miss you! Sorry to hear about your Grandma, but I'm glad you got to be with family. Great attitude to have when you're sick!:) I'm going to whisper to the kids tomorrow and see how it works.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

So true. I had a high school English teacher who whispered. She never had discipline problems. It's magic. thanks for the reminder:)