Saturday, January 23, 2010

Trip to Arizona

Last weekend we got word that my Grandma Gibson had passed away after a few long years of health issues. We are very, very sad, but also glad that she is no longer in pain and that my grandfather has been relieved of the difficult and health-taxing burden of caring for her. We sure love you Grandma and miss you very much!

My Grandparent's wedding photo. He was on leave from the war and she was in beauty school in Texas.

My cousin Lyn's wedding in Oakland.

The girls. Notice that my grandma graciously let us paint her fingernails blue. What a good sport she was!


We took about 24 hours to make decisions, (who would go for the funeral, how and where and when, etc.)and the next day we were on the road. Tickets were cheaper out of Indianapolis, so we had a road trip on top of a plane trip. (A special thanks to Katherine for letting us stay at her house on such short notice!) It was fun because we flew with my sister Kristy and her family. It was really amazing to me to watch the logistics of travel and accomodations fall into place. I have no doubt that Heavenly Father was helping make this trip possible.

The night before the funeral, I had the special opportunity to help dress my grandmother for burial. Mostly I just cried, but it was a really good experience for me. And it really helped prepare me for the funeral the next day. The funeral was VERY well done. Our whole family (minus two beautiful great-granddaughters) were together for the first time in a very long time. My uncles gave the life history and talk on the Plan of Salvation. It was good to laugh, cry and finally, have hope because of our Savior.

The next day was the interment up in Snowflake. We had a very short graveside service and then we said goodbye. The night before my mom helped me make some small bouquets to put on all of our ancestors graves. There are quite a few Gibsons and Reidheads buried in Snowflake and I told my kids a little about each of them. Most of all, I introduced Emma Louise to her namesake who cares very much about her I believe. We got home again at dinner time. And boy, were we ready to be out of the car!


This was taken right after the interment. My grandad is standing on the far right and my parents are right next to him. The others are my dad's two brothers and their cousins.

The grandkids and Grandad. We were missing three of the grandchildren, but most of us were there. We did get some pictures right after the funeral when EVERYONE was there but they were taken on my mom's camera. Now, THAT was a big group of people!


The next day we spent having fun with family. My sisters and I went through my Grandma's clothes and other things. We took all of her clothes and organized her jewlery. It was sure wonderful listening to the stories my grandfather told about her and their history together. We also had several singing sessions. My grandfather and dad both play the guitar and we grew up singing songs with them. Songs from all eras. I sure miss that! One of these days, I'll learn how to play the guitar too and carry on the tradition.
The kids had a great time outside. Jacob didn't believe that it was still wintertime. They got soaked with the hose, helped Grandad dig holes and water plants and who knows what else. Always good times in Arizona

Launching foam darts with Uncle Matt.

Rachel helping Grandad mix up the dirt with the "pick-ture".

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Oh Katie, I'm so sorry. I glad you were able to go, and have some good memories with your family.

Katherine said...

Thank you for the gift card! You didn't have to do that!! Come visit any time. After the ultra sound we went to Olive Garden and celebrated.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

What great pictures. I am so glad you were able to go.