Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hallucinations

This past weekend, Rachel had a fever along with her cold. That's no surprise. Rachel ALWAYS has a fever when she's sick! Last year she even had a recurring 106* fever that came back every 3-4 weeks for 6 months. But this time, she did something she's never done before.

Rachel woke up in the middle of the night with a 103* fever so I gave her some ibuprofin. No big deal. But when I get her out of her crib, she kept pointing and saying things like:

"There's an elephant in my crib!"
"There's something flying over there."
Mommy: "What is it?"
Rachel: "It's a kitty cat. It's coming to get me!"

She also saw the cat on Jacob's bed as well as a rhinoceros. There were bunny rabbits eating food on the roof and turtles under her crib.

Rachel was pretty freaked out. I'm amazed we got her to bed at all. We ended up telling her to close her eyes tight and go to sleep and the animals would be gone. Michael told her all she saw were shadows and she still talks about not wanting to see shadows or making the shadows go away. I asked the pediatrician about it and what do you know? Kids really CAN have hallucinations with a fever!

Poor Rachel, she was so afraid and it took a couple of days before she'd go to bed without crying or whimpering.

So the next time you're sick, watch out! There might be a turtle under your bed!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

poor kiddo! Is she feeling better now?

Steph said...

Oh poor Rachel! That is awful. I hope she is over that now. No fun. I hope she gets feeling better soon.

peter said...

That's crazy, I hope she's doing okay. Kristy

Marja's Recipes said...

When I was little, I had a reoccuring dream that huge alphabet blocks were chasing me. Very scary.
Hope Rachel feels better soon.

aquabatgirl said...

this is when it makes you glad you don't let you kids watch scary shows, thanks goodness it was only animals and not something worse. glad she is over it