Sunday, March 1, 2009

Winner takes...a trophy?

Michael went to a table tennis tournament in Newark this weekend. He hasn't entered many tournaments in the past but is trying to participate in more for the experience it gives him. He's lately added some new strategy to his game and is playing great. For those unfamiliar with ping pong tournaments (shocking, I know) each player signs up for a certain point bracket to play in. You get a point rating depending on other players ratings that you've beaten in previous tournaments. You then play in the tournament for your point bracket. One by one, Michael eliminated the competition in his bracket until he was in the last game against an asian with some serious power. (Asians are to Ping pong what African Americans are to basketball). He emerged victorious and brought home the prize.


Aren't you supposed to win money if you win your bracket? Apparently only the top of the top (like the pro's or semi-pro's) win money. I was still pretty excited for him and very proud. He had a great time and is excited about future tournaments but the part the made me really laugh was when he said: "do you know how long it's been since I won a trophy like this?" Seriously. Probably not since his grade school soccer days!

When's the last time YOU won a trophy like that? I'd love to hear any comments!

4 comments:

ElizabethandBradley said...

Never had a trophy like that, but I am proud of Mike for excelling at a sport most people don't even know the rules of. By the way, how is that baby baking?

Katherine said...

Wow! That's awesome and very exciting! No, I can't remember the last time I actually won a trophy and I don't think I ever won one that BIG!!

Are you ready for your new little one?? I can't wait to see pictures!

Annie said...

Impressive!! Good job to Mike for pursuing something he really loves. But Katie, I can't help but wonder if Mike has read this. Ping pong?! Isn't it table tennis?! You're probably just dumbing it down for the rest of us yahoos who don't know what we're talking about, but still... Ping pong!

P.S. I loved the pregnant picture, you are always so beautiful!

Larsens said...

That's awesome, Michael! If this dentist thing doesn't pan out, you could be a ping-pong pro. That has a nice ring to it, almost sounds like Asian when you say it really fast. Congrats and Happy Birthday to Michael on Saturday.