Saturday, August 9, 2008

Garden Mystery Solved

Ever since moving in, I've kind of let the garden do it's thing. I didn't know what was growing so I figured I'd take out the obvious weeds and keep watering. The tomatoes were a give away. Easily taken care of with some rope and stakes.

There's some sort of squash. I have no experience with squash. This should be good.

And then there was the mystery plant. Is it a weed? Is it an actual food producing plant? Let's wait and see.



As these little babies started falling off, I now have my answer! After a little googling I learn that they are tomatillos. You'd think a girl from Arizona would be familiar with something like that but nope. Brand new. Now what to do with them. Anybody want some? Anybody have a good recipe that uses them?

6 comments:

Steph said...

Oh yes! We use them all the time. In fact we tried our share at growing them too, but it has not worked out so far. Anyway... we use them to make Cafe Rio tomatillo ranch, and especially home made salsa. SOOOO GOOD! I have recipes if you want them.

Heather A said...

I'm glad you're reaping some benefits from the things we planted there!

:)

Katherine said...

I have a really good recipe too. It sounds like it's similar to Stephanie's. I'll email it to you.

Malinovka said...

Ooooh, we love tomatillos!! We would love some if you have lots you won't use. We make a great roasted tomatillo salsa that is fabulous. I'll have to send you the recipe.

Drostan and Jennifer said...

Funny that Heather posted that. I was thinking the same thing. :-) We had volunteer tomato plants the year after we planted the first ones. I think we need pictures! It would be fun to see the old place.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

oh yes katie...we'd love a couple if you overwhelmed by them. We've made the Cafe Rio recipe before and it is good!