Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Our Weekly Torture Trip

For the last year we've managed grocery shopping pretty well. Jacob sat in the front of the cart and Rachel sat in her carseat in the back. No big deal. Now Rachel is too big for her carseat and so she gets the front cart seat. Now what to do with Jacob. We tried sitting him in the back of the cart. That hurt his bum and back. We tried having him walk next to mommy. That took about 2 hours and all of my patience! You'd be surprised at what little hands can find.

As I lumbered down the aisle last week, holding Rachel so she wouldn't scream, with Jacob walking in front of the cart and me trying not to hit him as I pushed the full cart with one hand, I enviously watched a mom pass us with a toddler in the front seat and a child in the cart, just peacefully selecting what she wanted...no constant arguing, screaming or chewing on the grocery list. I said to myself...HOW DID SHE DO THAT!?

I'll let you know when I figure it out.

4 comments:

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

Oh yes, this is why I either go at night or send Scott:)!

Katherine said...

I agree with Angie!

Larsens said...

You have a few options:
1)Choose a new store that has that handy cart with two plastic seats in the back.
2)You shop only when Michael is home.
3)You go as a family, 1 cart for you, 1 for Michael.
4)You let Jacob stand in the front of the cart.
5)You give Jacob the grocery list and have him walk next to you, and pick the items off the shelves.

But good luck with anything you decide to do. I swore every time I went grocery shopping with Alex that I would NEVER take him with me. It was too stressful...but I forgot my promise until the next time we went to the store. And I had only 1 child. I don't know what my problem was.

aquabatgirl said...

i say just leave him in the car and take rachel with you, then maybe the next time he'll be gratefuly to sit in the cart j/k
i seriously have to leave a trail of food so that kylie will follow me through the store